> Concurrency is one of the more simple, academic issues

What are you doing? Do you wanna.. tempt the wrath of the whatever
from high atop the thing? :D

Concurrency is many things, simple ain't one of them. That's the very
reason academia is *still* (60 years(?) later) trying to solve it.

Anyways, I sort of see your point. For the average desktop app it does
not seem like much of an issue. Except.. have you ever used AWT or
Swing? Try to find a Swing sample out there that does not initialize
the JFrame on the main thread. That's unsafe code[1], but nobody
notices or cares. Ideally the compiler would tell you, but the runtime
telling you would be good enough for me. (Incidentally, the runtime
will tell you with the right aspects. [2])

With kind regards
Ben

[1] http://java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2005/tt0419.html#1
[2]