I think it's because Mac's aren't an OS. They are a software/hardware
combo, all provided by the same vendor. Thus all of the built in
hardware is guaranteed to work because it's built by the same company.
True, there are peripherals, but it's less critical than it is for
Windows.  Windows is the gold standard of hardware support because
they have to support *everything*. If you want to claim good hardware
support, then that's what you are going after.    Comparing Linux to
MacOSX only works if you are comparing a pre-built Linux system (say,
a netbook) to a complete Mac.   As more dedicated PC like devices
arrive built on a Linux stack (like ChromeOS, if the rumors are true)
then this will become a more relevant comparison.

Note. I think a lot of the requests for HW support in Linux is
theoretical.  In practice people care about printers, scanners,
cameras, and MP3 players. That's 99% of what people want out of their
Linux box, and I get the impression that a modern Linux distro
supports those quite well, or at least as well as Windows.

(Printing in *any* OS is still a pain, which is a travesty of the 21st
century)

- Josh