> In Netbeans psvm instantly expands to public static void main...
> and and ps to public static - so why bother?
Awesome.  Let me know when it automatically contracts "public static void
main" back down to "psvm".

The answer to "Why bother" is because some of us don't like having to look
at reams of 'high ceremony' code which does little to indicate the
application logic which is the purpose of the app in the first place.
Whether or not Scala gains more traction (I'm hanging my hat on Groovy for
now) many people prefer to have code that is easier to read over the long
term, not just code that's shorter to write at the outset.

--
Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers