Casper Bang wrote:
>> I'd prefer more people spend their time making decisions about
>> business-level or application-level issues, rather than language or
>> framework issues.  In the MS world, it *can* be much easier to focus
>> on those issues regardless of your team's experience, because almost
>> without exception they will be using the same tools and the same set
>> of libraries (framework/3rd-party/etc).  That's not to say there's
>> absolutely no choice at all, but you tend to have to have a *really*
>> defined need to go outside the 'standard' options presented.
>>

> Agree, this sets a lower bar for development, which some of the Java
> community likes to interprets as it being a dumb, docile and
> uncritical community.
> The good-enough perspective is dominating on .NET, with de-facto
> support for most needs leading to less-is-more; I can understand if
> managers are tempted by this. Which stack is the best for your next
> major product in Java? There's no definitive right answer, you can go
> with something proprietary (ADF), what looks de-facto (Wicket) or you
> what's official (JSF) - it feels a bit like playing the lottery.

While I believe this is a problem in many Java shops, it is not true in
general in the Java world, particularly in the JEE space. Usually
questions like "do we use Wicket or JSF as web-framework?" has an answer
along the lines of "use our internal, Struts-based one". "You want to
use an OSS library? Only if it is in the list of libraries we allow (or
you make a bloody good business case so we put your project into the
status of a pilot for the library)."

Standardization makes sense and I think that these large organizations
do the right thing (or at least try to do the right thing) in creating
their own standards. Are these better than the ones from MS? Not
necessarily, but the Java space not only gives these organizations the
freedom to adapt more, it also means that all these guys fiddling with
the new toys might actually produce something that might be worthy as
part of the new standards in a few years time. The MS world doesn't seem
to have this bottom-up approach as lively. It is there to some extent,
but Java's strength is that there is so much happening that you may or
may not follow. If you are a large enough organization, then you can
easily afford some staff to watch the space and try to figure out which
new technologies suit you and when.

Don't compare Joe MCAD to the Java Rockstars. Not too many of the
corporate JEE devs will read this mailing list, even less will post.
They are too busy fulfilling business requirements and they whinge about
as little about Java as Joe MCAD does about .NET.

  Peter