I have a curious story.

My father bought a HP printer on which his mac would not print. Then,
he asked me to check it out one of thouse lazy sundays.

I googled for a while and found a howto (sorry, I don't have the URL)
on how to install CUPS on the mac. The last step was to copy the
printer driver for that specific inkjet model FROM A LINUX
DISTRIBUTION.

Worked like a charm.

It was 2007.

Since then, I HAVE to agree with Dick: Linux has amazingly good hardware support

Regards

--
Marcelo Morales