TorNorbye wrote:

[...]
> I'm sure most devices work with Linux -- especially if the devices
> aren't new. The story from some other post in this thread of somebody
> taking their 5 year old system and hooking it up to Ubuntu flawlessly
> didn't surprise me in the least. But where you can run into trouble is
> if you buy a brand new top of the line graphics card, or something
> obscure like a fingerprint validator
Unfortunately that's not true either. Generally speaking Linux tends to
support old hardware well, and I usually expect it to work out of the
box on older hardware. For setting up a basic OS and office
configuration on an machine a few years old, using either Ubuntu or
Windows I'd estimate about 1/2h and 4h respectively. Unfortunately both
can fail.

Some cases I had recently:
 * an old D-Link WLAN card causes Kernel panic in recent Ubuntus (used
to work after fiddling, I haven't bothered again)
 * my DVB-T tuner card stopped working after updating the driver. Since
you build that one from a HG repository anyway I just rolled back to
revision 10000 since it's a nice round number :-)
 * I lost the support for the binary graphic card driver on one machine
since new ATI drivers don't support the chipset (~4yrs old) anymore, but
you need the new drivers for X.org 1.6. Running Google Earth on the OSS
driver kills the machine.

OTOH installing Ubuntu on my Dell Mini was a breeze and while looking at
PDFs was painful on the Windows XP installation it came with, I now find
myself coding on the train using a pretty normal Eclipse setup. My
current advice re Linux hardware is to stick with the Intel stack since
that seems to work well out of the box. Of course I have only anecdotal
evidence for that.

Just to make sure I don't get bashed for Linux-hating: getting those
pieces of hardware to work on Windows can be a real pain, too. Don't get
me started on installing Bluetooth hardware on Windows (not sure about
newer ones, I haven't tried for a while. That is a type of hardware that
Linux seems to grok out of the box every time I try.

Apart from gaming I don't use Windows as primary OS, my
non-Open-Office-needs are usually covered well by the Terminal Server at
work and VMs elsewhere. I have some machines that aren't even dual-boot
despite the fact that the license sticker is still on them :-)

  Peter