I think the case as, always, is to choose the right technology based
on the right principles for the problem at hand.

I look at the non relational mainframe storage that sits behind the
'legacy' policy administration system at work and I can see what it
has going for it, the COBOL requires no data type translation, and the
ability to redefine the structure of a record based on its specific
type (ie, 'car policy' vs 'farm policy') is a highly useful concept
when dealing with so many variations of structure.   XML would be the
'modern' equivalent.  To do it in a relational database with Java
would involve a lot more work and a lot less flexibility.

Interestingly, from my weak understanding of Big Table, it seems to be
very similar to the concepts in supra/cobol.  But  I'm not familiar
enough with BigTable to be sure.

Regarding the caching side of things, for the type of problems I've
dealt with, performance issues with databases (Oracle) have been
solved not with caching, but with tuning of Oracle config, indexing,
queries tuning, network and then underlying hardware/storage array
technology.

I sometimes wonder, with some of the conversations I observe, if this
kind of top to bottom tuning is overlooked in favor of Java/code based
solutions in some situations?