I think you might be overlooking how revolutionary SQL/Relational
storage is compared to what came before it.

I mean, if I want sum all the fee's received between two dates on the
mainframe, I'm cracking open COBOL editor and doing a lot of boiler
plate to read records, compare the dates, store the result so far.

One line of SQL does the same thing, and a hell of a lot faster too.

But yeah, its like XML, the industry seizes on an idea, and then all
of a sudden, its the solution to all man's (and woman's) ills.

Thus all the enthusiasm for BigTable etc should be tempered with the
fact it still only an appropriate choice for a given set of
circumstances.  Of course, I'm not sure what they are yet, I don't
know enough :)