Fabrizio is correct. Technically JavaFX code will run on any Java 1.5
runtime. We use 1.5 bytecode and the internal usage of 1.6 api will
correctly degrade. However, the user experience is vastly better on
recent versions of 1.6, so we encourage it's use. I believe (though I
haven't checked lately), that the dtfx.js javascript which generates
the applet tags will require you to upgrade from anything lower than
6u7 if you are on Windows.  I suspect there will be a day when we drop
1.5 altogether and go 1.6 only, since 1.6 itself is several years old
at this point.

- Josh