And with the 'java is close to the bytecode' again.

No, it isn't. Java is one of the farthest removed languages from the
bytecode. The relationship Assembler->C is fundamentally NOT the same
as the relationship JVM Bytecode -> Java!

Wanna throw a checked exception out of a method that doesn't declare
it? You can do this on the bytecode level. Scala can do it. Java
cannot.

Wanna 'goto'? The JVM can do it. No language built on the JVM language
can, however. Well, maybe some brave soul will port the latest PHP
version, which has goto in it, for some reason.

Or, flip it around: What exactly can java do that scala can't?

That's NOT the reason why java (the language) ought to stick around.
It ought to stick around because it offers a useful philosophy that
none of the other languages on the JVM currently have.