Patrick Wright wrote:
> So I think what I'm saying is this: I think it's great that this team
> is working on a solid-quality, useful app in Java, regardless of the
> fact that it's not cross-platform. And I think as a community, it
> might help us if we stopped evaluating desktop Java apps based merely
> on portability and focused more on their utility, integration, and the
> quality of their UI. If Java and the JVM don't help us build _better_
> apps _more easily_ and of _higher quality_ than the alternatives, then
> there is no reason to advocate them, and an app's portability really
> doesn't matter.

Well, this is partially right, partially nonsense. :-) I like Cyberduck
a lot, and it's really well done. But it doesn't make me willing to use
Mac OS X more than other factors - indeed, it's likely that I'll drop
Cyberduck sooner or later, as I strive to use _exclusively_ portable
applications. It's easy to say that portability is useless if you don't
have to use multiple o.ses. For me it's important, and much more
important of the cool factor. I understand that Cyberduck author made a
specific choice to go only with Mac OS X, clearly works for them and for
Mac OS X users. Not for me.
> FWIW, I'd be glad if someone wanted to take on the effort of writing a
> Swing or SWT UI for Cyberduck, and see how they fare. In fact, it
> would probably be a great challenge for the next JavaFX
> competition :).

I'm wondering whether Cyberduck is designed on a good MVC or such - if
models are well separated, it shouldn't be so hard to write new UIs for
it; but I wonder why nobody did up to now.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."