On Aug 6, 10:21 pm, kirk <kirk.pepperd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> With all due respect to Charlie and his team (and I do have the deepest
> respect for him and Thomas), if the world was on the Ruby bandwagon I'd
> agree. However the world is on the Java bandwagon and this make the Java
> integration portion even more important. But with only 2 guys working on
> it, it's hard to expect the world!

Well, for a while it was on the Ruby bandwagon :) But ultimately, what
sets JRuby apart from languages like Scala, Clojure, Fan, and Groovy
is that Ruby has been around for almost 17 years...longer than Java.
It has its own community, a giant pool of existing libraries and
applications, and it was not designed around the limitations of Java
or the JVM. That means two things for us: if we can't be an excellent
Ruby, we don't have much reason for existing; and there's a lot of
challenges involved in being an excellent Ruby. But I think we've done
a good job. To date, no other alternative Ruby implementation has
production users. No other implementation runs Rails well enough to
deploy real apps. And now that we've accomplished those goals, we'll
turn a bit more attention to the remaining Java integration gaps.

I think this fact bears repeating: people like JRuby because they like
Ruby. If you don't like Ruby, there's plenty of other languages to
choose from. JRuby is Ruby, and always will be.

- Charlie