It could just be me, but I noticed a bit of a shakeup in eclipse land,
with a re-focus back on the core IDE - just editing java code,
basically. Since 2.4 or there-abouts, the focus has been on RCP,
equinox, web dev plugins, task managers, PHP mode, and rebranding
eclipse as a general kitchensink that does everything (people who
actually know a thing or two about branding will recognize this move
to turn your brand into everything effectively means the same thing as
turning your brand into nothing). It seems to be because netbeans is
starting to make inroads.

If true, this ought to light a second candle under the arse of
eclipse, which is great news all around. It may also put pressure on
suncle to not waffle about, pick one (JDeveloper, or, hopefully,
netbeans), and keep putting resources into its development.

Good times.