Delegates in C# are first class methods of the language, basically
type-safe method pointers matched by signature. C# has since gotten
full Lambda expression support which I believe compiles down to the
same, except with the latter you have some more options which they
utilize for the LINQ and parallelization stuff. So no, I don't believe
many would claim they are the same thing.

Microsoft wanted to modernize Java, adding delegates and properties to
the language [J++ was lead by Hejlsberg, coming from Delphi and who
would later move on to create C#]. That got stopped when Sun went to
court, so I guess they since felt they needed a paper stance on the
matter. There are other funny anecdotes, i.e. if Sun had not waited 10
with adding Enum's, Miguel de Icaza would likely not have went on to
cloning .NET. C'est la vie with corporate politics and power
struggles. :)

/Casper