Perhaps, though is that really a lot different than what you see with
GWT, App Engine and Android?

Anyway, I know that Anders hated the complexity of JNI and was more of
the school that we should make it easy to inter-operate - a very
different attitude to Java's 'thou shall not leave this
language' (which has changed over the last years to 'though shall not
leave this JVM'). Consequently, the interoperability story .NET since
got is remarkable simple and powerful. I believe it's one of the
reasons why Mono is so popular on Linux, since the Linux culture is to
do massive reuse and chain existing utilities.

/Casper