I'm a big fan of distributed VCS.   You can of course designate one
machine as the "master"
repository, and treat it just like you would the Perforce server or
Subversion server -- you push
your changesets to it, and you parent all your checkout clones to it
such that anytime you
pull or push it goes to/from that "central" server.

But the key point is that you have a complete copy of the repository
in each of your checked out
clones. That means that while you are on that laptop, you have access
the the full history
even if you are in a plane or on the beach - you don't need to be able
to reach the server.
Checking in code (as a changeset) - "checkin", is a separate operation
from pushing changesets
to a server ("push").

I'm currently using Mercurial but I hear really good things about git
as well.

-- Tor