On 2/13/10 15:38 , Casper Bang wrote:
I rent a cheap dedicated server somewhere close to a primary backbone
and installed Linux on it. Then I mounted the user home folders (using
sshfs for Linux clients, expandrive for Windows/Mac clients) and with
a good upstream/downstream connection, this works really great. Unlike
dropbox, speed/performance/capacity is somewhat more within your
control. Also there's no synchronization going on, so if you don't
like the "eventually consistent" model, this is for you. Still looking
for a way to access this from Android though, unlike Dropbox there's
not yet an easy way to do this.
So far I've always excluded the idea of a remote backup with an external service, because I don't want to put my data in others' hands. But I'm often thinking of using a server of mine - my problem is the large amount of data, my photos alone are 300+ GB, and I wonder whether this is feasible with backup / restore over the net. How large your data are?

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."