On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 04:04, Michael Neale <michael.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I could be wrong, but I don't know of any libraries at all myself in
> common use.

I think to break through language borders and accept the additional
dependencies coming along with that, there must be really good
reasons. This applies for Java libaries also I guess. I already have
chosen to implement a few things myself rather than using a separate
library. Even worse, when it comes to bigger frameworks. They are
usually coming along not only with additional dependencies but also
with additional constraints.

I have seen people writing everything in PHP but to get fulltext
indexing in their applications they crossed the language border over
to Java and use Lucene. - And I also seen .NET programmers using
.NET-ports of iText and the like. There are those big libraries that
are very powerful in a specific realm. Many of them are in Java. For
my own needs I would would rather cross border to .NET rather to Ruby
or Scala for thick client development to get the Windows stuff
integrated. This because there is (maybe) no other way to get the
particular stuff baken.

So I think to make me using a third-party non-Java library (JVM or
not), that library must be really good in doing a particular stuff
(where no alternative exists in Java) to make me accepting the
appropriate drawbacks. So the question is rather: Is there an
outstanding library in a non-java language that can do something
particular very good that one wants to implement in his application
"at any cost"?

--
Live long and prosper,

Martin Wildam