If you use a proper IDE you don't have to type any of that, IntelliJ and
Eclipse (the ones I know well) generate your getters and setters with a
single shortcut.
Though objects with getters and setters were created with the intent of easy
to change through a ui, which is not the case with most development now a
days, a lot of people still use them.

If you TDD your code you'll find that the amount of tests that you write for
both (dynamic and static) is the same but it takes you 4 (just to use your
number) times more to write it in Java.

Most of the frustration comes with the low level of the java language that
lacks some higher level constructs that would make your code more elegant
and terse.

Nuno

On 23 April 2010 22:08, Steel City Phantom <scpha...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> saved by using a weak typed language was just lost writing 4 times the
> amount of unit tests you need to verify basic functionality.
>

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 3:26 PM, twitter.com/nfma <
> nuno.filipe.marq...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree with Misko 100%.
>>
>> I have yet to meet someone that wrote an app in a dynamic language using
>> TDD that didn't have the same kind of experience that Misko had.
>>
>> Everyone seems to be frustrated when going back to Java with the verbosity
>> of the language, lack of high level constructs and the broken generics.
>>
>> To my knowledge Scala and Haskell have a proper type systems that really
>> saves your fingers but unfortunately Java doesn't...
>>
>> Nuno
>>

>> On 23 April 2010 21:02, Alexey Zinger <inline_f...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As was briefly mentioned, let's keep in mind distinction between dynamic
>>> and weak typing.  I looked at the link in your post and some things jumped
>>> out at me that I just had to respond to (I realize the bog post is not yours
>>> personally):

>>> of hundred lines, how long can it take you?
>>> Whaaaaaat?  That's his answer to the problem of understanding loosely
>>> typed, dense code?  Sure, it's possible to make an impenetrable mess using
>>> any language, dynamically typed or not, but usually when I'm having a hard
>>> time with something written in Java, it's either because the code is laid
>>> out in such a way that it undermines basic OOP principles, including
>>> loosening type restrictions, where it shouldn't, or there's some non-trivial
>>> flow of control lacking in documentation.  The latter, such as asynchronous
>>> calls, is not easy to deal with in any language at this time, but
>>> documentation is usually the answer.

>>> casting, coercing and repetition in declaration simply is not there
>>> resulting in very dense code.
>>> I smell pure FUD.  Even without reified generics, Java hasn't had the
>>> need for much of casting in how long now?  Especially if you're doing web
>>> development and not using Swing, which lacks generified API.

>>> tests.
>>> This is an interesting statement.  I do agree -- testing is important and
>>> if you lose static typing, it has to take on extra responsibility.  But then
>>> let's not compare apples and oranges.  Let's not compare code we write in a
>>> statically typed language same code in a dynamically typed language.
>>> Instead, we should be compared code in a statically typed language against
>>> code in a dynamically typed language plus the test code that might not have
>>> to be written in the presence of a compiler.  Suddenly, it's not so clear
>>> where the line should be drawn indicating how much extra test code and time
>>> gets put into a dynamically typed environment.
>>>
>>> And, at the risk of being crass, I couldn't pass this up:
>>> or that you assumptions about classes are wrong
>>> Touché :)  Having English as a second language, I can make fun.

>>> 2001 Honda CBR600F4i (CCS)
>>> 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
>>> 1992 Kawasaki EX500
>>> http://azinger.blogspot.com