On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 4:06 AM, scphantm <scpha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU WANT A DYNAMIC TYPING LANGUAGE????

I have a PhD in formal methods, so static typing systems - even
complex ones - appeal
very strongly to the academic part of my psyche. However, there is
also great appeal to
typing systems that are simple; ones that get out of the way and let
me get things done.
In some ways this is like WS-* versus REST. WS-* is undoubtedly more
sophisticated
and powerful but people building scalable global web services tend not
to use it and instead
choose the simplicity of things like REST and apply their own
light-weight governance
on top to make up for any shortcomings of the underlying layers. I
think perhaps in the
future hybrid type systems may provide the best of both worlds but we
are many years
away from understanding what best practices would be in such systems.

Cheers, Paul.