This is not FUD. There is uncertainty (the U part) in how fully Apple will
support Java in the future. Apple has badly neglected Java in the past and
has not commited to not doing the same in the future. What gives you any
confidence that Apple will ever release a Java update past what you have
now? What happens when Apple decides that Objective-C is the only language
that should be used on MacOSX just like they recently decided it was the
only appropriate language for the iPutz platform?

I purchased a Mac mini 2 years ago to give MacOSX a whirl. I recently made a
major upgrade/purchase of my home desktop system. I really wanted an iMac
but with the uncertainty I perceived and felt (whether you recognize it as
legitimate or not) I went with an Intel box instead. The decision was not
purely monetary even though I think I got a better value with my Intel box.
The experience I had with my mini was a few months before Apple released the
big Java updates (1.5 and 1.6) and the experience was not stellar for me.
Eclipse in particular was sub-par and has only recently gotten better (Cocoa
port?). I have no confidence that if I had bought an iMac that a similar
situation would not re-occur in the future.

What is the difference between Apple saying that non Objective-C
applications on the iPutz is not ok from Sun saying non Java applications on
the JVM is not ok? What kind of hell would people raise if Sun/Oracle said
that only Java could run on the JVM (no groovy/scala/clojure/jruby for you)
since other languages would give a sub-optimal user/developer experience?
What is Tor (sorry to pick on you, but you did mock Linux :) going to say
when Apple decides that JavaFX shouldn't run on MacOSX since it doesn't give
the native LOF experience?

In the end, we can develop good Java code on any of the major platforms and
maybe it's mostly a personal preference, but I prefer the one that doesn't
limit my options. I also prefer colleagues that are intellectually honest
enough to accept the good and bad of their dealer without becoming an
apologist.

Lloyd