First,

realize that aside from being developers, they are people - individuals -
different.

Find out what motivates them, why are they developers, what are they
passionate about?

Then use that to guide the developer, show him/her how different frameworks
and techniques achieves the goal at hand,
and how that caters to their motivational drivers.

If you are demonstrationg EJBs to a developer that you know likes
performance-tuning, you can weave in how
you tune EJB applications, and what common performance problems are.

Also, guide them in interpersonal relations, software development is very
much about interacting with other people.
Does your developers have meals together? Do they have time to develop
professional relations and trust?

Encourage them taking responsibility, make them challenge eachother and
themselves.

Yeah, I'm fully aware that this just sounds like textbook BS, but I assure
you, between the buzzwords there are some gold nuggets.

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM, David Rollins <david.roll...@gmail.com>wrote:

> All,
>    I'm in a relatively new position of needing to mentor Mid level
> and junior level developers.  I have different challenges with each
> one, but I'm looking to get a better understanding of what others find
> helpful in either being guided along or in guiding others.
>
>   So far I'm working through:
>    - EJB Component Architecture
>    - Design patterns
>    - High level networking (for debugging education)
>
>   I have one employee in particular who has very little experience,
> but also very little patience for being guided.  I've asked him to
> work on Java certification, or at least go through the book and he
> doesn't find it necessary.
>
>   Looking for suggestions and would appreciate the feedback.  The
> environment we work in is primarily web based with a lot of back-end
> processes.
>
> Yours,
> David

Viktor Klang
| "A complex system that works is invariably
| found to have evolved from a simple system
| that worked." - John Gall

Akka - the Actor Kernel: Akkasource.org
Twttr: twitter.com/viktorklang