You might want to figure where each of your mentees is in the Dreyfus
model of skill acquisition.  For example, it may be they want to be
told what to do not why.  In this case explaining the thinking behind
decisions is useless, they'll forget/ignore it.

I'd also recommend Pragmatic thinking and learning
http://www.amazon.com/Pragmatic-Thinking-Learning-Refactor-Programmers/dp/1934356050
which deals with this stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreyfus_model_of_skill_acquisition