Who says your private developer time has to be in the evening? I do my
"extra" time, like book-writing and studying new stuff, first thing in
the morning (after a little wake-up web surfing and exercise).  Maybe
that pushes off your "knackered" time to the last hour of your work
day, but depending on your personal cycles, it might be something to
try.

At different times in my life, I've worked day, evening, and overnight
shifts, and I've found I really like jumping in at 5:30 AM when nobody
else is up (well, except for Europe…)

You mention you have a family. Did you find you got more ambitious and
interested in maintaining your skills after having kids?  I can't
believe how much time I wasted back when I had so much of it.

As for podcast listening, I'm doing a better job of keeping up with
the Posse now that I've got 90 minutes of lawn mowing a week to keep
up with.