I already have in my possession a card reader. It did come supplied
with some developer APIs but these will be native C I would expect. If
the Oracle JDK has the functionality available for Java I would prefer
to use that. I have looked at the APIs which seem to revolve around
sending commands to the card and getting responses. I don't need to
put any software on the card I just need to read 9 unencrypted bytes
from the start of the data storage.

These cards are too smart for their own good. Seemingly smarter than
me trying to figure them out.