On 8/16/10 17:49 , Reinier Zwitserloot wrote:
> A second one involves mixed mode VMs which is probably the most
> meaty patent in the set, but its just not something android
> actually does.
A commenter said instead Android 2.2 does mixed mode:

JIT has been added in the Android 2.2 Froyo, and do mix interpreted
code with native code. JIT is only turned on by default if 512MB
memory os available, otherwise 2.2 Froyo also uses a pure interpreter
solution.

I find it's frustrating how hard is for us to understand all of these
details. Also, I found an interesting comment about my comment on GPL
providing patent protection: that is, the commenter said that GPLv2
doesn't provide patent protection. I believed that the GPLv3
improvements for what concerns patents is only the "patent retaliation
clauses" (the thing that made GPLv2 incompatible with ASF v2.0) and
some very specific stuff, but that patent protection was already in
GPLv2.

I'm copying my counter-comments below:

@Paul Stadig

"but perhaps this would require every device manufacturer to provide
the source for their "distribution" including their modifications and
customizations."

Hmmmm... I've got some doubts about that. Copying from
http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html

Android Open Source Project license

The preferred license for the Android Open Source Project is the
Apache Software License, 2.0 ("Apache 2.0"), and the majority of the
Android software is licensed with Apache 2.0. While the project will
strive to adhere to the preferred license, there may be exceptions
which will be handled on a case-by-case basis. For example, the Linux
kernel patches are under the GPLv2 license with system exceptions,
which can be found on kernel.org.

If the manufacturer customization is made in the kernel, they have to
make them public because the kernel is GPLv2 (no big surprise, it's a
Linux fork). I expect that the required customization made to the
runtime library, which is the part that must be portable, are so small
that redistributing the sources shouldn't be a problem. After all,
we're saying that Android is "open", right?

@rps

"The OpenJDK is released under the GPLv2, which does not provide
explicit patent protection. This is a feature of v3."

- From the FSF site:

http://gplv3.fsf.org/rms-why.html

"GPLv3 also provides for explicit patent protection of the users from
the program's contributors and redistributors. With GPLv2, users rely
on an implicit patent license to make sure that the company which
provided them a copy won't sue them, or the people they redistribute
copies to, for patent infringement." More at that site.

So, GPLv2 already provides patent protection. It has been improved in
GPLv3. I'd like to understand whether the GPLv2 isn't really enough
and why.

BTW, at this point it should be pointed out that the Android kernel
itself is GPLv2, not v3. I think it's because Linus Torvalds
criticized GPLv3 and wanted to stay with GPLv2. I have some doubts,
unless somebody explains me the details, that the Linux guys are so
naive to stay with a license that exposes people to patent
infringements. In any case, if GPLv2 is so weak, we should be worried
about Linux and thus the Android core as well. Right?

- --
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."
java.net/blog/fabriziogiudici - www.tidalwave.it/people
fabrizio.giud...@tidalwave.it