Exactly what I feel.  You will need 3 components launched to develop
1. App inventor
2. block editor
3. Emulator.

 the webstart tool is a hack job, and I could argue, "why don't you do
the whole thing in webstart."  Google might phase out the webstart
later.

Using the puzzle style to glue events and procedures together do not
make the problem easier.  The worst part is, similar operations have
multiple puzzle pieces, making it so difficult

Bottom line is, if you can get this thing to work, you could have
written the code already as the puzzle pieces almost spell out the
program code.