> As Kevin wrote the Scala guys are already at work on the next cool
> thing (parallel collection). And for sure we don't have to wait till
> mid 2012 before to see it delivered. Moreover some very interesting
> tools, libraries and frameworks are already mature enough to be used
> in production environments. And in my small experience they
> dramatically improve your productivity. Give a loot at Akka for
> example. There is only one word to describe it: AWESOME.

There's also Mono; more familiar to Java developers and with it's own
set of awesome stuff. Sadly it's missing from the JVM, but for all
practical purposes it represents a Java 2.0 (opt-in type inference,
dynamic typing, nullable types, lambda's, expression trees, properties
etc.). Scala might very well be 3.0, but I fear the gap between 1.0
and 3.0 is too great. Undeniably, Scala has a big opportunity here.