On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:57 PM, Miroslav Pokorny <
miroslav.poko...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  I mentioned ARM as even though they are a hardware company they too exist
> purely because of trust and excellence rather than patents.

I'll take your word for that but I'll offer something for you to think
about: if they were located in a country with software patent laws, maybe
they would be doing even better than they are right now, precisely because
they are excellent. With software patent laws, they would be able to protect
their excellent ideas for a few years, thereby guaranteeing more sales, more
revenues, more funding for R&D, which would lead to even more innovations
coming from them.

I think that software patent laws help great companies while hindering
mediocre ones (by preventing them from copying other people's ideas before
they have been tapped).

--
Cédric