I meant to say jsr-166y rather than nio 2. I am using jsr-310 (new
date time) and jsr-166y (fork join framework) on jdk6. No, I'm not
compiling them myself, the projects provide jdk6 compatible binary
releases. I'm not using nio.2 on jdk6 and I don't think that works
with jdk6.

The jsr-310 date time stuff is really excellent. It works well on
jdk6, but obviously other jdk6 libraries like JDBC don't support it,
so you have to do your own manual conversion. Also, third party
libraries, like Google, provide their own custom Date Time library,
since jsr-310 isn't officially out. It will be nice, when everything
standardizes one common excellent library.

The fork join framework is very fast: I wrote my own quicksort
benchmarks. I was sure I could write more efficient multi-threading
code, and I could not. However, it doesn't need other library support
like a date/time library does, so there is not much advantage to a
blessed jdk7 release over using the jdk6 release.