You're right about that, it's not optimal, and given the choice I'd opt for
less crap. But, having said that, it's so far down the list of priorities for
switching languages that it's not even worth mentioning.

Out of interest, do the Scala tools (such as the Eclipse plugin) handle
imports as seemlessly as their Java counterpart? (I swear I'm going to try
some of this stuff Real Soon Now).

Regards,
Graham