After digesting this shocker, I think I understand what they are
doing.

The primary motivation behind the JavaFX project is apparently to
support the other Oracle teams and product lines that wanted a better
cross platform UI platform, and I'm guessing that those teams didn't
like being forced into using  FX script. But Oracle actually seems
serious about using JavaFX in their important products.

This is a real downer, although not unexpected, for everyone who
invested into building an FX script skill set. I can't imagine a
library designed for the lowest common denominator of languages
working as well as having the tight integration between a custom
language syntax like FX script had.

However, this might actually turn out to be a good move. As much as I
liked FX script, there is some real momentum in the alt-language JVM
space, and being open to all of that, especially with the FX team
offically making some level of effort to accommodate those languages,
might actually be better than being tied to a single language.

Also did you notice this on Amy Fowler's blog, "A sleeper detail from
Thomas Kurian’s keynote is that NetBeans will be the Java development
IDE of choice going forward".