On 9/21/10 06:24 , Craig wrote:
I dont get it. I can't find anything official that states that JavaFX
script is going to be dropped or even deprecated. The roadmap talks
about the introduction of the Java based APIs, but not in lieu of
JavaFX script?

What's really disappointing is that there are not precise milestones. "2010-2011 roadmap" is too generic, and this really sounds - as Reinier said - as the further "announcement" of JavaFX. While the decoupling from the language is good, there are implications with a number of further projects: for instance BeansBinding. Looking (quickly) at Stephen Chin's + Jonathan Giles' slides I see an example of a completely new listener e.g. for Rectangle (addChangedListener() with a BooleanListener) in a place that could probably work with the existing PropertyChangeListener. I suppose there's a reason for this, but this means a departure from the bound property specs from JavaBeans. How the thing will be integrated with existing Swing components? Furthermore, I see an extreme fuzziness in all the announcements, as there is really nothing concrete now, even the APIs. This is for sure extremely DISAPPOINTING. The ridiculous has reached higher peaks for what concerns the JWebPane component in particular. I hope that other presentations will give some real deadline.

Now, looking at the list of postponed features for Java 7 (unfortunately everything mixes, to increase the chaos) I see that JXDatePicker has been postponed. I'm not against the fact that it has been postponed, I think that there's no mean in th point. I mean: serious industrial adopters of Swing are using SwingX in full (or at least for a conspicuous number of widgets), since Swing by itself is not enough. Only the fact that somebody is *discussing* whether to integrate JXDatePicker in 2012 is absurd. Either you discuss about integrating a larger number of widgets of SwingX, or you decide that SwingX will live as an external library. Integrating a single component won't change the life of nobody.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."