The majority of java programmers have standard rules that ALL blocks
must be braced.

The *vast* majority of java programmers have standard rules that ANY
non-trivial block must be braced, and will only keep unbraced the
simplest of ifs (without elses), whiles, and fors.

That would mean a very very tiny fraction is even going to try and
write try statement catch (exception(s) e) { ... }.

Is this going to lead to shorter code? After your try version, you'd
have to do a check on whether se or oe isn't null, which is just as
much complication in the end, except now you've introduced even more
opportunity for the programmer to screw up their exception handling,
and you've introduced 2 very different ways of accomplishing the same
thing, always a bad idea if it can be avoided.

As I've been proposing with an official coin-dev submission for rather
a long time now: The right way out of this dilemma is to offer
programmers the option to explicitly state that they want to ignore an
exception. This means it gets bubbled up as usual but they don't have
to declare it as part of their "throws" signature. Something like
Ricky's "throws private" but with different syntax and without
rewrapping. Because java really doesn't need stack traces that grow
even longer.