I feel I can honestly answer this question having gone from a professional
50% C++/Java -> 100% Java -> 100% Scala to now ~60-80% C++ (yay google...)

Ironically, with good libraries I can be about as productive in C++ as I was
in Java.   There tends to be more boiler-plate in C++ and more decisions to
be made when designing a class.   However, for general "enterprise-y"
development, I haven't seen a huge difference in either language.  You tend
to know exactly how to do things in C++, such as pass memory ownership
around. With Java I found myself fighting the J2EE stack and optimising
RDBMS calls almost as often as creating new services and features.

The basic gist of my development preference is that I really want a language
to that allows me to write the logic of my function in a way that:

(1) Is easy to read and understand later
(2) involves little boiler-plate (that gets in the way of understanding).
(3) optimizes my code efficiently without my having to go through a lot of
grunt-work
(4) Enough tooling support for "click on method/class -> open
definition/declaration"

I love JVM langauges due to JIT and GC.   These help reduce the noise in my
algorithms.   There have been several times where for performance or
bug-prevention reasons, my C++ has felt ugly or boilerplatey.   Having used
some higher level languages, I started feeling the same with Java.

In terms of my professional career's languages, I would say I enjoyed using
Java for enterprisy things more than C++.   C++ templates were far too much
fun for my side projects to say that Java is more enjoyable than C++.

- Josh