I'm looking to replace my 18 month old Macbook with a non-Mac laptop soon.

Not just because of the Java issue but because the screen has started
to show a vertical band. When I took it to the Apple Store I was told
thats £250 + VAT (~£300).

I've never had a non-Mac laptop go wrong so soon.

Btw, my Macbook would use up the battery in a day or two so not sure
where you get a month from unless its brand new.

Rakesh

PS I believe there are hardware compatibility lists out there to find
out if laptops are compatible with Linux distros.