I've had no problem with Dell and Sony laptops that I've used. I like the
Sony keyboard and laptop quality much better. I would suspect that the
newest Ubuntu would work on pretty much anything you wanted. The screen
resolution may be one thing to double check if you go for high resolutions,
but if you use the vendor drivers, then I bet you'll be ok. I've heard the
HP Envy is supposed to be very nice, but I have used it.

I've found the best way to research which laptops work with Linux is to
google the laptop model and the linux distro you want to use. A lot of folks
post their success stories on personal blogs. You can sometimes see gotchas
before you decide on a laptop. More so than with other blogs, you should
take what you read with a bit of skepticism.

Lloyd