A year or two ago, SSDs had the following very bad properties (HD =
Hard disk, i.e. a traditional magnetic platter style device)

A. While random-read times were orders of magnitude faster than on
HDs, which gives people a 'wow' factor to cling to: Bootup and
starting complex apps like photoshop, or other fun tricks like opening
20 apps at the same time, are almost unbelievably fast. But a lot of
day-to-day performance needs aren't random-read.

B. sequential-read was actually slower on SSDs.

C. After a few months of use, speed, particularly write speed, would
drop precipitously (like, total time would DOUBLE), because of the on-
board distributer algorithm, presumably (you can only write so many
times to a flash cell, so there's a chip onboard that distributes
writes evenly over the flash while still looking like a standard disk
on the computer end).

Intel had a really nice though somewhat expensive SSD out at the time
(we're in the middle of 2008 or so) called the X25-M, which avoided
many of these problems.

Possibly (hopefully!) the market has learned from Intel's innovations
in the X25-M, but I'd definitely do some research before diving in.
Don't get blinded by the fact that an SSD can boot and then start 20
apps simultaneously in the blink of an eye.

Then again, due to the nature of programming, SSDs in general are a
good fit there. Lots of random reads!