Eclipse is Rational Application Developer "Lite"

By open-sourcing it, IBM were able to attract a lot of developers to
strengthen the foundation of their flagship developer product at no cost to
themselves (and the extras in RAD are very much *not* open-source, or free).
 Plus, a large user-base of existing eclipse users makes the learning curve
for RAD very shallow - another useful selling point.

As always, follow the money.  Someone, somewhere, is *always* profiting from
any "free" product.

On 24 November 2010 19:57, Chris Adamson <invalidn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh come on, Vince, don't play dumb. I'm saying that they're developed
> and given away free in order to support the *Java* platform, for
> webapps, mobile, and desktop.  That's obviously in Sun/Oracle's self-
> interest, which explains why they offer NetBeans.  With Eclipse, I
> think there was an effort to legitimize and evangelize an Eclipse
> application platform, written in Java but using SWT and other add-on
> technologies from the Eclipse Foundation (such as OSGi).
>
> --Chris
>
> On Nov 24, 2:59 am, "Vince O'Sullivan" <vjosulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Nov 23, 7:58 pm, Chris Adamson <invalidn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyways, I get the sense that IDEs have become strategic assets
> essential to the well being of specific platforms, and are usually developed
> by those platforms' sponsors and usually given away for free to foster
> development for that platform.  IDEA, as independent pay-ware, is something
> of an anachronism here.
> >
> > You're saying that Eclipse and NetBeans are given away free for the
> > strategic purpose of promoting Windows, Unix and Apple platforms by
> > the sponsors of those platforms?

Kevin Wright

mail / gtalk / msn : kev.lee.wri...@gmail.com
pulse / skype: kev.lee.wright