On Nov 24, 5:07 pm, CKoerner <chessm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If Blu-Ray players choose Java, why not Snap?

Actually, this is the question I think we all should have been asking
Sony (and others) years ago about other devices.  Like with the Sony
Reader, which needs to sync to a computer to get new content, they
wrote a Windows-only app.  And it was about this or maybe some other
device that I remember writing a blog (probably for java.net) saying
it would really help if Sun were to ask Sony why they didn't choose
Java, which would have supported more desktops and been more future-
proof.

Basically, there could be two classes of answers:
     1. Java was considered and found wanting
     2. Java was never considered at all

If it were (1), then at least there would be useful feedback to
consider, like the fact that (here's one of my old gripes again) Core
Java doesn't include USB support (JSR-80), so it's poorly suited for
device connectivity.  But if it's (2), then the problem is one of
perception, and of marketing.

I don't get the sense Sun ever did this.  They just assumed they knew
everything already, and set their own agenda.  It's hard to imagine
there were many people saying "we want Second Life, but in Java", but
Sun kept starving Swing and feeding Wonderland anyways.

Java developers have an idea of the platform's strengths and
weaknesses, but this doesn't necessarily correspond with everyone
else's assessment of the platform, and I doubt either is perfectly
aligned with objective reality.

--Chris