On Nov 25, 7:15 am, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if people were transferable between Sun Labs and the
> mainstream company. I found Sun Labs the coolest part of Sun albeit
> any R&D is not going to be instantly profitable. There was the
> understanding in Sun Labs that projects undertaken there might fail.
> The current trends seems to be for the big players to do less and less
> R&D as it is not a climate where risk taking is popular.

You don't think Google, Apple, and HP are taking big risks on Android,
iOS and WebOS, respectively?  You don't think there's serious R&D
behind WebM, HTTP Live Streaming, touch UIs, Chrome, etc?  Sometimes
they don't pan out -- Google Wave for example -- but it's not for lack
of trying.

Oracle might not have an appetite for risk, but plenty of other "big
players" sure do.

Still, it's possible to go too far romanticizing R&D with no clear
application… the ultimate goal is to develop successful products and
services, and Sun clearly didn't do this well.

Anyways, we've kind of lost the thread of the original "is Sony nuts
to base a new consumer electronics device framework on GNUStep?"

--Chris