> Depends in what category.
>
> Everybody agrees that Apple will reign supreme in profitability, but that's
> about it. In market share, Apple is headed for a solid #3 / #4 place in the
> next few years and Android #2 or even #1. Very soon, Android and Apple won't
> even be in the same league and Apple's position will depend on whether they
> can beat RIM and/or Microsoft.

I think it's worse than that. Apple has a nice solid position right now but the
market is about to becomes flooded with custom branded Android devices. They
will complete on price and features. As individuals, you might argue that
nothing beats Apple in user experience. I might counter that HTC's version of
Android is good enough because of a better price point. And maybe Vince is all
gaga over Samsung's branding of Android for some other seemingly random reason.
In a broader population this trend will tend to some distribution. Using
breakfast cereal economics, market share's should tend towards about an equal
share for everyone. Note that in this model, Apple comes to the table with 1
device which means they get 1 slice of that market where as Android devices are
going to chew up quite a few slices and Windows 7 phones will chew a few more
market slices and so on... Maybe Apple's slice will be slightly bigger than
anyone else's but the general trend will be towards a highly fragmented market.

Kirk