Apropos of nothing I suppose, one thing I've noticed recently is a lot
more use of the little green android logo in advertising and branding
aimed at end-users.

When I first saw the little green Android logo, I had assumed it would
be associated with how developers saw the Android brand, like Duke for
Java.  In fact, I was surprised two Summers ago when we were on our
way home from an amusement park and I saw a banner in front of a cell
phone shop with the little green android on it.

[BTW, does he have a name?]

I'm bringing this up because of the obvious Duke comparison. I
remember reading an article way back in like '96 or '97 from a
marketing person saying that Sun should be putting Duke all over the
place, shouting his name from the rooftops to build end-user awareness
of the Java brand and its value-proposition, particularly in contrast
with Windows.  [This was in a JavaWorld or  PC World or something… I
looked for it for 10 minutes last night but couldn't find it again.]

Now obviously, this didn't happen.  The end-user had little awareness
of Duke ,or of Java's value proposition.  Heck, I'd argue that Sun
never worked out a good story on the value of Java to end-users (that
something is in Java is not good enough if you don't explain why
that's a win, and Sun never really got anywhere with WORA).  In many
ways, they lost the message -- read a MacAddict or other long lost
magazine from that period and you might find Java defined as "the
thing you turn off in your browser if you want to speed up the web and
not crash as much."

So, obvious difference with the Little Green Android.  He's showing up
in commercials all over prime time and sports events in the US.  Can I
say first… WELCOME change from that those goddamned creepy metal-in-
your-eye Droid ads! THANK YOU!

Second… I don't think this isn't coming from Google, directly, so it's
kind of interesting to ponder about who "owns" the Little Green
Android as a character and what he can do.  So far, he consistently
doesn't have a voice(*), and I wonder if that's by design/contract, or
if all the carriers using the LGA in their ads have had a "meeting of
the minds" (**) about the character's traits and agreed to make him
more of a mime-style character.

(* - perhaps ironic when you consider that voice integration is one of
the distinctive traits of Android, something iPhone doesn't do much
of)
(** - I'm using the original and nearly forgotten meaning of this
expression, the phenomenon of separate parties reaching tacit
agreement without ever physically meeting, and instead inferring each
other's intentions from their independent actions. It's a useful
expression that unfortunately has gotten misused to the point where
its primary meaning is now "smart people sitting at a conference
table")

But to contrast with Duke, can we say that Android does have a
specific message it communicates to end-users?  Sun never communicated
what the value of Java is.  I think it's clear there is a distinct
Android message that end-users are getting.  Granted, I think the
message is "It's like the iPhone, but ____" with various ways of
filling in the blank:
   * it's on my carrier
   * it's politically correct
   * you can get a physical keyboard
etc.

Maybe someone else can identify what specifically the Android message
is.  But at any rate, it's just interesting to me, because I'm seeing
a lot of cases where some new iPhone app gets announced -- especially
if it's a corporate app from like a retailer -- and half the Facebook
comments are "we want an Android version".  So, there's a message
about and a demand for Android among end-users that has never existed
in the Java world before.

--Chris