On Jan 15, 2:05 pm, Craig Kelley <namo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After all, PNG made GIF obsolete -- and I remember when Mozilla and
> Opera were the only browsers to support it.

One objection I have to this popular analogy: PNG was demonstrably
superior to GIF: better compression, better transparency, better
documented, etc., in addition to its lack of patent encumbrances. Few
have made a convincing case that VP8 is even as good as H.264, and
even then, they're only looking at a handful of side-by-side decodes.
They often miss ecosystem considerations: there are toolchains built
around H.264, hardware and software encoders at varying levels of
sophistication, and encoding professionals who know how to get the
most out of it. VP8 exists as s reference encoder and decoder (and a
spec that has been openly mocked for containing large swaths of
inscrutable C code, complete with TODOs) and that's about it, so in
practice, VP8 will always be transcoded from something else (quite
possibly from H.264!), and transcoding / generation loss is something
you always want to avoid if you can.

PNG and GIF were lossless, so a PNG should always be able to perfectly
reproduce a source image, and typically use less bandwidth than an
equivalent GIF. All common video codecs are lossy, so it's harder to
compare, especially when you can have a professional use a $10,000
encoder to create a highly-optimized H.264 video, while for VP8, we
apparently have the reference encoder and that's it. At the end of the
day, the H.264 ecosystem is better able to deliver better video to the
end-user.

Even though it's not part of the codec technology, per se, I expect
these and other considerations surroundig the codecs are going to tend
to make H.264 consider to look better at the same bitrates, and keep
getting better, relative to VP8.

IMO, the big advantage of VP8 is its political correctness. If it
weren't wrapped in raiments of openness, this group wouldn't even be
talking about it.

-Chris