I had done a lot of reading up on EJB 3 given that it was part of my
final year University project. It didn't seem all that bad to me
though I appreciate that isn't the same as practical experience.

I know EJB 2.x was really complicated. Is a lot of JavaEE criticism
residual bad feeling against EJB 2.x without taking into account the
simplifications made since then?

The EJB stuff was aimed at a very particular market i.e. sites which
needed to scale over clusters of servers.

I know that things like IIS can cluster though my impression was that
the Microsoft clustering capabilities were not as good.

It seemed to me that this area was one of Java's strongest spaces and
I am not that aware of many alternatives.

It is possible to replicate the same site over multiple servers and
have some kind of computer sharing out requests between the other
computers in the cluster. This approach can work with practically any
technology but as far as I am aware JavaEE goes beyond just being able
to do that.

When it comes to technology it is good and well to criticise one
technology but if you are going to criticise a technology it is
usually more constructive to suggest better alternatives.

Saying JavaEE is a dead man walking when several different large
corporations back the technology seems a bit of a strong statement.