On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Carl Jokl <carl.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does everyone hate EJB or at least the silent majority? If so I would
> be interested in learning why. I hear a lot of bad-mouthing of EJB but
> often without explanation of the reason. Is it seen as just too
> complex?

The non-silent minority hates EJB, and all the people who listened to
the Spring FUD about how horrible EJBs were hate EJB. Spring did them
all a disservice, but saying "you can use our stuff instead!" but not
pointing out that people were using EJBs in circumstances for which
they were highly inappropriate: local-scoped, non-transactional
services.

When you went to remote services and added transactions, lo and
behold, the Spring stuff ended up not looking significantly different.

That's not to say Spring is bad, they just leveraged knowledge they
had to their own advantage.

> As regards not using EJB but using web services, this does't seem like
> an either or. From what I remember, EJBs can be exposed as web
> services by adding some annotations to them.
>
> It is quite possible that something is going to replace JavaEE in the
> future. No technology lasts for ever.
>
> Saying it has never been more than marketing hype is unfair. I think
> it is true that not as many people embraced JavaEE and in particular
> EJB as the creators had hoped but some people have.

Actually... the other way around. People embraced EJB like it was the
Second Coming (or, if you're Jewish, the First Coming.) The problem
was that EJB was a solution that had fairly narrow parameters, and
people used them bloody well EVERYWHERE. No wonder they got a bad rap:
they were a picture frame taken to a knife fight.

--
Joseph B. Ottinger
http://enigmastation.com