On 02/17/2011 10:35 PM, Cédric Beust ♔ wrote:

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Ricky Clarkson <ricky.clark...@gmail.com <mailto:ricky.clark...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    There is a problem; PropertyChangeListeners and the like easily lead
    to sprawling, unmaintainable code.

    JavaFX's binding model supposedly tackles this.

As do local message buses <http://beust.com/weblog/2010/07/26/local-message-bus/>, in my opinion. No need for a brand new UI toolkit...

Local Message Buses are one of my favourite patterns, but they don't cover all the requirements. Binding is needed often.

Back to the topic, generically speaking I prefer an open approach. But in this case:

1. There's not a lot to design: the libraries are already there, and Oracle just needs to design the non-JavaFX-script bindings. Yes, binding themselves can be designed in a bad or a good way, but it's not the core point. 2. We all know that JavaFX is very late. It's out since four years and not yet usable. Opening a process is good for getting a better acceptance, but it slows things down. You can accept the trade-off in a normal situation, not when you're already so late. 3. Given that JavaFX has not to beat Flash and Silverlight, but to complement Swing, in a way it will find its way in industrial applications relatively easy (it will be a lot easier if it will be easy to mix it with Swing and allow an incremental way to use it).

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."