Our first web designer wrote our entire web site in Flash.
Our second web designer rewrote our entire web site in Wordpress.
Our current web designer is rewriting the entire web site in Abode CS5
(Dreamweaver?).

Facebook is written in Java.  It uses Ajax to load the page piece by
piece.  You can download their API to write a plugin.
I'm currently writing programs in a Java hybrid language using
Webstart to handle client-server communications where the server could
be an actual server on a domain or a web server accessible through the
internet.