Naah "surfing the web" is hardly the same as 10 years ago, nor is it
what Tim Berners-Lee originally envisioned. It is in fact just one
generation of a manifestation of a hypermedia system. The moment the
location bar is gone, the moment most sites run rich state models on
the client (think GWT/FWT), then things will seize to look like the
web we know today.

Do you really think users needs to see complex URI's complete with
protocol, domain, resource, anchor, parameters etc? I think not... and
more then they need to see cookies, SSL certificates etc.The topic is
likely to be resurrected with the coming of Chrome, ChromeOS I think.