It certainly can only be healthy to see how things are done
"elsewhere", out of your normal comfort zone. The world is not black
and white, which means that there will always be *something* to learn
from another culture - not entirely dissimilar to actual real world
traveling! So I interpret "Learn a new language every year" as more of
a guard moniker against growing too conservative and succumb to
inbreeding. As Steve McConnell says, "program into a language, not in
it".

I suspect the reason why you raise the topic could be because the JVM
ecosystem is (or has been anyway) known to be fairly self-righteous
and if you are confined to, and contend within this bubble, surely it
makes more sense to invest your time studying frameworks and umbrella
technologies. That's fair reasoning given that the vast majority of us
spend much more time battling API's than we do contemplating how a
given language construct works.

However I would argue that this is mostly a consequence of Java's
staleness, which leads to lackluster peripheral API's which can not
inter-operate between one another, and where tooling goes from being a
thin veneer to a thick layer of magic paint. So I say, absolutely keep
an eye on how other languages does stuff. How to minimize branching
(Scala case classes...), avoid null (null coalescing, non-
nullability...), avoid casts (generics, inference...) etc. etc.

In the perfect world we'd have a succinct language that's completely
pluggable and versionable, and it would be increasingly hard to
differentiate API from language - nor would you have to. Think about
it, since when has "Java" the language carried any concrete skill
credibility on a CV? Not since the mid 90's I think.

/Casper